Sunday, September 18, 2016

Welcome to PreK


September Theme: Welcome to Pre-K 

Student Outcomes 
Enduring understandings that the student should have by the end of the unit:
My classroom and program are safe places where I learn, play and have fun.
I am an important member of my classroom community; my thoughts, needs, ideas and abilities matter.
My family, my teachers*, and other children make up my classroom community; their backgrounds, thoughts, needs, ideas and abilities matter.
The teachers and other adults at my program keep me safe, care about me and support my learning.
In my classroom I use materials carefully and make choices about where I work and play.
Classroom rules and routines help me learn and stay safe. 

Lesson and activities for the week:

Blocks-Encourage children to use blocks to build buildings they are familiar with such as those they live in or visit often.

Dramatic Play: The children will be invited to explore the dramatic play area and use the props and multicultural clothing. 

Art: The children will be encouraged to draw self portraits with the use of a mirror. They will be encouraged to look at their faces carefully in the mirror then draw what they see.

Science/ Discovery: The children will be provided with mirrors to explore and discuss what they see. 

Toys and Games / Math Manipulatives: Children will be encouraged to use table toys/ manipulatives to build the classroom.

Sand and Water / Sensory: Children will be encouraged to dig through
the sand to find themselves and their peers laminated pictures.

Library:The children will be provided with puppets or stuffed animals to read books from the classroom library.

Computer/Technology: Children will be provided with enriching learning games on the iPad. 

Writing: The children will be encouraged to explore the tools in the writing center.

Home-School Connection
  • Look for things that can come in pairs, such as shoes and matching chairs. Have your child count these objects. 
  • Encourage your child to point to written numbers such as clocks, telephones etc. 
  • Place your child's snack in several small groups, and ask : Which group has three(or another number)? 
  • Count the amount of objects your child can grab in one handful. Ask your child to describe the objects (size, color, shape..)

No comments:

Post a Comment