Sunday, September 9, 2018

Week of September 10th!

Theme for the month:
Welcome to Pre-K!

Goals for student understanding by the end of the unit: 

• My classroom and program are safe places where I learn, play and have fun. 
• I am an important member of my classroom community; my thoughts, needs, ideas and abilities matter. 
• The teachers and other adults at my program keep me safe, care about me and support my learning. 
• In my classroom I use materials carefully and make choices about where I work and play. 
• Classroom rules and routines help me learn and stay safe.


Lessons and activities for the week: 

Blocks- Children are encouraged to use blocks to build buildings they are familiar with such as those they live in or visit often. 
Pretend Play- Children are invited to explore the dramatic play area and use the props and clothing provided. 
Art- Children are invited to create art in the art area to decorate the dramatic play area, or home. Students can hang their art in the dramatic play area. 
Science- Mirrors will be added to the science center for children to explore and discuss what they see. 
Math- A picture of each child will be cut apart, thus creating a puzzle. Students are invited to assemble their own puzzles and their peers’ puzzles as well. 
Library- Students are able to read books from the classroom library to the puppets that are provided.
Writing- Students are invited to explore the materials provided in the writing center.  They are encouraged to write the letters in their name. 
Sensory- Sand and water, or play-doh.


Some of the books we will read this week are:

• The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
• Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney

Lesson Plan Link

Home-School Connection (Engage NY) 
Have your child help with household chores that require matching or sorting, such as matching socks in the laundry, organizing shoes, or collecting utensils for meals. As your child matches objects, ask questions like, “How do they match?”

  • Play I Spy together to continue developing vocabulary around size, shape, color, and texture. For instance, seeing a banana, you might say, “I spy something yellow and smooth.”
  • Identify and count parts of your body, noticing if there is a matching body part (1 ear, 2 ears) or just 1 body part (1 nose).
  • Touch and count three objects together. At the grocery store, count, “1, 2, 3. We need 3 apples.”

Reminders:
• Please fill out and return all papers given out during parent orientation.

Dear parents, 
If you have any questions about the UPK for All program that the teacher or school is unable to answer please feel free to contact: 
The Archdioceses Help Line at 888-227-8175 from 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. 



No comments:

Post a Comment