Theme for the month: My Five Senses
Enduring understandings that the student should have by the end of the unit:
•There are five senses. They are smell, taste, touch, sight and hearing.
• We use our senses to understand our bodies, learn what they need, and keep us safe.
• We use our senses to learn about the people, places, objects, and environment around us.
• We experience and interact with the world differently when our senses, such as vision or hearing, are impaired.
Learning Centers and Activities
Blocks- Children are encouraged to use blocks that are covered with green and/or brown paper to make them look like tree parts. Students will be able to explore how they feel and look compared to the other blocks in the block area.
Pretend Play- The dramatic play center will be transformed into an apple orchard. Students will be able to explore apples with their senses.
Art- Play-doh will be added to the art center as children discuss how the play-doh feels, looks, and smells
Science- A "Feely Box" will be added to the science center. Students are invited to put their hands in the holes of the box and identify the object using only their sense of touch.
Math- Students will be able to sort objects by color, size, shape, and texture.
Library- Students are invited to look at our classroom books and discuss what they see with their peers.
Writing- Students will be able to write letters in shaving cream and discuss how it feels.
Sensory- Sand and water, or play-doh.
Some of the books we will read this week are:
• Tap Tap Boom Boom by Elizabeth Bluemle
• The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams
• Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr.
Reminders / Notices:
Please fill it out and return the parent questionnaire.
Children are invited to wear their Halloween costume to school on Tuesday, October 31st!
If you have any questions about the UPK for All program that I, Mrs. Gonzalez or Mr. Woods are unable to answer please feel free to contact: The Archdioceses Help Line at 888-227-8175 from 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. or by Email at catholicschool.upk.arch.ny.org